- Name and job title – Jason Glanville, GM Bisate Lodge, Rwanda.
- Describe yourself in 3 words – Resourceful, practical, genuine.
- Favourite hobbies – Bush crafting, painting and spending time with my doggo.
- What talent/superpower would you love to have – To be able to teleport would be most useful.
- Favourite local place to visit or food to eat – There’s a great Asian restaurant in Kigali called Soi, which is always a nice treat. Otherwise I enjoy cooking at home.
- What have you accomplished in the last year that you are proud of – Building our team to be strong, capable and able to work well together under pressure. The Bisate team has bought into the long term vision we want to accomplish at the lodge, and made it an incredible experience so far!
- Tell us one story/memory that stands out for you while working at Wilderness – On a relatively quiet morning in June 2021, I got a call from one of our agronomists saying that there was a gorilla on the property. I dropped everything and just started running. Bisate is not the easiest place to get anywhere quickly, due to the high altitude and volcanic hills. The radios were going off franticly for the next 10 minutes, with everyone trying to get an exact location from anyone able to assist. I finally made it to the top of the hill and found Jean Moise with a massive smile on his face. He announced that the gorilla had been there for about an hour and had left five minutes ago, much to my dismay. We checked the trail camera that was in the area, and low and behold, a massive silverback had walked right past it before returning to the forest. Our first mountain gorilla on the property since we opened the lodge.
Thank you for sharing your story with us Jason!