- Name and Job title: Lizelle Opperman – Guest Relations Manager at Little Kulala in Sossusvlei, Namibia.
- Describe yourself in 3 words: Inquisitive, Ambitious, Adaptable.
- Favourite hobbies: I’m not sure if I should call it a hobby or an obsession! I’m in love with the night skies. My dream is to point out all 88 constellations one day. I know 12 already.
- What talent/superpower would you love to have: Superspeed, like The Flash. Especially when I’m under pressure, as that is when I work at my best. I love to be hands-on in every department.
- Favourite local place to visit or food to eat: Back home, I come from a little village called Ongongoro, on the outskirts of Grootfontein. My favourite meal is pap and omaere.
- What have you accomplished in the last year that you are proud of: I’m most proud of managing a successful team through this time of uncertainty. My team worked tirelessly to ensure that our camp ran smoothly, throughout the tough times.
- Tell us one story/memory that you have while working at Wilderness: The first time I made it to the top of Big Daddy was one of my best memories ever, I will never forget the feeling. Big Daddy is the tallest dune in the Sossusvlei area. This magnificent dune is situated between Sossusvlei and Dead Vlei, and at 325 meters it dwarfs the other dunes. Last year in June, my birthday month, I decided to take Big Daddy on! It took me roughly 1h30 to get to the top, although everyone else gets to the top in a maximum of 45 minutes. It was not easy at all and I wanted to quit several times, I felt my heart was about to explode but I pushed till I made it to the top. I can now say, I have the ultimate bragging rights till today!
Thank you for sharing your story with us Lizelle!