Get to know me in 7
- Name and job title: Carel Loubser – Head of Trade and Partnership Marketing.
- Describe yourself in 3 words: Dedicated, patient, and a great sense of humour.
- Favourite things to do in your spare time: I have been kept very busy with DIY projects since moving into our new house. Building garden sheds, gardening, setting up veggie gardens, and various other chores. My advice – don’t let your wife find out you are good with tools. However, I was told enough is enough, she couldn’t deal with all of the dust anymore. I also enjoy taking the camera out whenever there is an opportunity to get into the bush.
- What talent/superpower would you love to have: All of Superman’s powers and the ability to become invisible – a powerful combo. Or imagine if you could read, write and speak all of the languages in the universe. Maybe I could then understand my wife, and toddlers, better…
- Favourite wild animal and why: Our nine-month-old cat who is just so cute at the moment. Half of my DIY is to keep her from exploring the outside world. My favourite wild animal is a leopard. A beautiful and powerful animal.
- An accomplishment that you are proud of: Convincing the in-laws to marry their daughter. Even though I had to wait a month to get their permission.
- Tell us one story/memory you have while working at Wilderness: Before Wilderness I worked for a tour operator, and 50% of their business came from hunting. I then went on my own for two years before joining Wilderness. Three months in, I told somebody I wished I had made this move many years ago. I joined the travel industry to put smiles on people’s faces and send them home with great memories. Wilderness manages to do just that, and positively impacts communities and wildlife at the same time. Ten years in, it’s still great that I can personally contribute to making a difference. I have made some good friends along the way and work with the best group of people.
Thank you for sharing your story with us Carel!