- Name and Job title: Wellen Rooi: Wilderness Namibia Food & Beverage Manager.
- Describe yourself in 3 words: Friendly, respectful and straightforward.
- Favourite hobbies: Football, rugby, movies and socialising with family.
- What talent/superpower would you love to have: I might have a hidden talent that I don’t know about as I am a fast learner! Otherwise Professor Charles Xavier from X-MEN or Superman.
- Favourite local place to visit or food to eat: I prefer to spend time with my family and I eat everything.
- What have you accomplished in the last year that you are proud of: Becoming a dad again.
- Tell us one story/memory that you have while working at Wilderness: My Wilderness journey started in 2008 when I visited my brother at Wilderness Sossusvlei, after I had finished my Grade 12 exams. Whilst there two vacancies, Scullery and Housekeeper, became available. Petrus, my brother, returned from a drive, and asked if I was interested in the vacancies. I said yes, taking the opportunity to work in the scullery with both hands, since I was unable to further my studies. In 2008 the camp sadly closed due to the economic recession. I was lucky to be moved to Maintenance at Kulala Desert Lodge (KDL). After a few months, I asked my GMs about growing in the business, and they suggested I prove myself. I started coming in every afternoon and on my days off, to help the bar lady and to learn. My efforts paid off and I became a barman, working in the position for almost five years before being promoted to Floor Supervisor, on a temporary basis. Unfortunate circumstances did not allow me to get the role, but a year later it presented itself again and I applied with confidence and dedication. I got the position, and worked there for two years before being promoted to Assistant Training Manager at KDL. I then progressed to Assistant Manager and moved to a new region, different camp, met different people and I’ve loved it ever since. My goal when I started with Wilderness was to become a Camp Manager and I think I have almost reached that goal with patience, respect, dedication and fingers crossed. Wilderness Memory – Flying in a plane and meeting a celebrity for the first time
Thank you for sharing your story with us Wellen!